4.06.2008

How Many Calories in Food for Thought?

It’s funny how a girl is compared to how a guy is. I’m sure this isn’t news to you. But really, how often do you hear a guy complain when someone compliments him? He’s happy to hear it, he’ll say thanks and that’s about it. Pretty simple. How many times have you tried to pay a really attractive girl a compliment but fail to every time because it becomes an argument? Ultimately, it doesn’t matter how gorgeous you think she is because what she sees in the mirror is completely different. Unfortunately but understandably, girls spend a lot of their time analyzing their body, comparing themselves and killing themselves over their image. Apple and oranges isn’t even the term, it’s more like pens and pillows. Stupid is probably what you’re thinking and you are completely on the ball! It’s that dumb. A guy will pay a chick a compliment and she’ll walk away thinking he must want to marry her. She’ll walk away thinking he’s trying to get in her pants. She’ll walk away, go to her girlfriends and talk about how he’s the last person she’d ever want saying that. But she’ll get home where she can be herself, take off her mask and for hours she’ll be thinking that he’s a really nice guy and she wishes she were confident enough to snatch him up while she could. Oh the irony!

“Shut up, I’m not pretty, never was, never will be.”

Be real. You wouldn’t bash your favourite band in front of people who hated the lead singer just to go home and listen to them. Same concept. It’s funny to hear a girl totally bash on a guy for being so nice. Are you for real? Are you really complaining about someone thinking you are beautiful? That’s crazy when you think about it. But to talk about how much he praises you like you’re not flattered….give me a break!

“Yeah he actually told me I was the most beautiful girl he’s seen in a while. So lame…”

In those moments I pretty much want to strangle you. Knock some sense into you. It’s okay to like it. I’m not saying I’m not like this because I really am! (Well, not the bashing but secretly loving it part…well…sometimes). But I’m able to step back and examine the situation that I’ve been seeing so much of lately. And yes it’s for some odd reason hard to say thanks when a guy tells you you’re good looking because you don’t want to seem too big headed. Or you don’t want him to think you’re interested. Or you just think too much! I’m just wondering why it really matters. Even through writing this I’m realizing it myself. It’s better to take a risk and be different. Everyone’s the same. Everyone’s following the stupid trends; not only in fashion (don’t get me started) but in “personality etiquette.” That’s scary! Just try to be confident in yourself for one day. It might feel a lot better than you’d think.

1 comment:

Jeremytough said...

seriously...this post struck a nerve! there are so many times where i'd love to go up to a girl and say "you are so beautiful" and leave it at that. But I could never do that because she would automatically think that I was a creep who wanted to get into her pants.

Blog Archive