This past December I made a really scary decision: I dropped out of school. I think we know why this decision is so scary, I mean, I decided to stop doing something that I had spent 16 years of my life focusing on. I knew what my academic strengths were (creative writing) and had convinced myself it was my passion and the only thing I could make a career out of. My first semester of university made me realize that I was pursuing a talent, not my passion.
Luckily, I was able to somewhat leave school with confidence to dedicate my time to something I am passionate about. What started off as a part time job is now one of the things that drives me, challenges me and allows me to grow both in my field and as an individual outside of work. Almost four years ago, I started at the very bottom: Stock Girl. As time progressed, I became Stock Coordinator. Then came Store Management. Now I am a District Manager at a retail company you have probably heard of...
My experience with this job has created a desire in me to be my own boss, run my own show. I have a good idea of what kind of retail business I want to open but I know things can change and I`m not ready to put those present ideas down in writing yet.
I realize now that its okay to be driven by other things than "the norm," which can mean school or it can mean whatever everyone (including yourself) believes you to be driven by. It is a frightening reality to face, but the quicker you get onto focusing on what motivates you and makes you happy, the quicker you get to living a fulfilling life.
No comments:
Post a Comment